[Market-farming] garlic scapes

JOHN A HENDRICKSON jhendric at wisc.edu
Fri Jun 15 07:59:35 EDT 2007

I get $.18 each (a certified organic, wholesale price), through the marketing co-op I am a member of.  These are then sold to restaurants for $.27 each.

I sold 2300 to a CSA farm for their members (I also supply the garlic bulbs for this CSA farm) at $.10 each.  This seemed like a lot of work for the price and I plan on asking them for $.15 each next year.  I feel OK about taking a lower price from them because, with CSA, the sale is gauranteed ahead of time and I do not have any wasted effort or marketing expenses.

-John in Wisconsin