[Market-farming] today's weather/storm brewing

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun Jun 10 12:12:56 EDT 2007

On Jun 10, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Pat Meadows wrote:

> (However, I can believe it's easier to deal with too much rain than too
> little.)

There's an old saying around here (I expect not applicable to the
dryest climates);

A dry year will scare you.
But a wet year will starve you.

If -- a big if -- you have irrigation water, you can at least do
something about the dry. (My irrigation supply runs out in August of a
really dry year, though; sometimes sooner, if the previous year was dry
too). But you can't do anything about crops underwater, or clouds that
won't lift.

I will say that my particular nerves find too wet easier to deal with
than extremely too dry -- at least in too wet the weeds are growing, so
something's happy. When it's really dry, everything starts gasping.

Here we're having moderately dry, most places -- a good rain a few days
ago helped a good deal in an  otherwise dry late spring, following on a
wet year --