[Market-farming] strawberry prices?

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sat Jun 9 15:47:40 EDT 2007

Thanks all for pricing info; here's some in return --

Local retail Mennonite store had strawberries this week for 3.99 /
quart.

Produce auction prices down the road were running 3.00 to 4.00 / quart,
sometimes in large batches.

I put mine out at market at 2.50 / pint and they disappeared at a high
rate of speed (if I'd had lots, I was going to also put out quarts at
4.50 / quart; but as supply was short I put them all out in pints). In
some areas certified organic would get a higher premium; but around
here you can usually only get a little extra.

Then somebody stopped by the stand and said his sister was selling hers
roadside for 2.00 / quart. Well, there's always somebody; I'm going to
stick with my price . . . Anyway, organic strawberries take a lot of
handweeding. There's no way I'd sell them for 2.00.