[Market-farming] How best to use the tractor

Sheila O'Grady ellecid at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 3 18:43:27 EDT 2007

I have five level acres that have been grass for over 13 years.  Though it's late for this year, I'd like to prepare the ground for mid-season and end of season vegetables in a small area, about 75 feet by 75 feet.  I'd like to use our John Deere to subsoil and rototill to reduce labor in initial soil prep.  The measurement from outside wheel to outside wheel is 45 inches; inside wheel to inside wheel is 17 inches.  My question is, would it be better to have a rototiller that is 41 inches wide, thereby leaving a small guideline for subsequent passes (and helping to create the walkway between rows that will be the traffic aisle for the rest of the season) or have a rototiller that is as wide or wider as the outside wheel measurement and then section off the beds later?  I'd like to have 2 to 3 foot wide beds . . .

I welcome any and all advice and suggestions!

Thanks,

Sheila