[Market-farming] well storage tank?

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun Jun 3 14:12:14 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 04:32:04PM -0500, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Our well is used with no tank at all. We turn on the pump, and pump into the main line into the layflat. Well cap. is 50 GPM. Each zone area uses 40 GPM. To control the pressure on the drip line we have a gate valve on the lay flat. After the drip lines are charged the valve is pinched down to control the pressure. The pump holds the back pressure. Backpressure will not hurt the pump. Matter of fact, in using a pump what you pay for in power use is volume. Volume = more amps pressure = less amps. Bill

Well..... maybe I'm full of it, but I haven't known of a pump with such
behavior.  My mental model of an electric pump is that it draws a fixed
amount of current when running and you can choke it down to produce as
little water as you want but you still use that fixed amount of
electricity.

I know a peach grower that has a big diesel engine driving his pump.
He is able to throttle the engine up and down to produce the desired
quantity of water.  But all the electric pumps I know of are fixed
speed.

Since my plumbing is only good for 60 psi or so, I start to break
things when I allow pressure up to that level.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  441 days 19 hours 58 minutes