[Market-farming] Prices: New Potatoes

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sat Jun 2 13:53:54 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 09:04:00AM -0500, Tom Circle wrote:
> What would be a good price for new red potatoes.  We grow in high tunnels with an early market and get good prices but as soon as garden potatoes start coming in the prices get cut in half.  If I can get the higher price why won't the other growers keep their prices up.

Small potatoes (and early ones of any size), we get $2 for a ~2lb bag.
As the season progress, we up the weight of the bags of larger potatoes
and continue to charge $2.  About 3lb for $2 is as low as we go.  We
find we can always get $1/lb for small potatoes.  These are field
grown red potatoes; white potatoes do not normally produce well around
here.

It is completely normal and to be expected that prices decline as
supply increases.  Think "free market" and "supply and demand".

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  440 days 19 hours 37 minutes