[Market-farming] Farmers Market Scale recomendations?price of pints of jalapenos

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sat Jun 2 09:11:45 EDT 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 11:48:13AM -0400, Sue Wells wrote:
> What do you charge for a pint of jalapenos? I have no idea what to charge
> for these, and I have been charging 25 cents each. I think that is too high,
> but I do sell some.

I kinda snickered when I first read this.  $.25 for a jalapeno!

However.... we started picking jalapenos a few days ago and that will
be my retail price on the early ones.  We have charged $1 per pint
retail; this year, we started at $1.25.  A few years ago Bill Bradshaw
recommended Conchos here; I've be using that variety for a while with
mixed results.  The early peppers are enormous; 6 or 7 to a pint.
Like most varieties, size seems to decline as the season progresses.
I believe Bill has gone on to even better varieties, but Conchos still
look good to me.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  440 days 14 hours 56 minutes