[Market-farming] double cropped potatoes

Shawnee Flowerfarmer farmingflowers at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 25 20:27:44 EDT 2007

David,
  Your  relay planting method is intriguing.  I manage an 1850's Heritage Garden with a verrrrry small budget; all plant varieties must be pre-1850, so every season I am trying to save seed for the next....and raise enough crop to feed volunteers and perhaps, have some harvest to support our local Plant-a-Row for the Hungry program and also sell to fund next year's garden.

 Sigh....that's many  economic responsibilities to wrestle out of a quarter acre historical garden .

  Plus, available greenhouse space varies considerably as I piggyback the Heritage Garden seedlings onto whatever gozillion crops I am raising for the nursery where I finance my life.

I will try your system to stretch my potato crop/seed next season.  (Plus, we have better success when I have actual seedlings for volunteers to plant.  There is always a gap between the enthusiasm of optimistic volunteers and their horticultural knowledge.)

Thanks for the details,
Shawnee, zone 5, but it's been July weather since late April.

 (ps-have I punctuated correctly and so on?  Hee hee....my, but you did rattle up the list-serve, didn't you?  Cool.  Still,  I agree.  When it's important to communicate something, one strives to be a credit to the teachers who emphasized the infrastructure of our language.)