[Market-farming] Organic post (sals)

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Wed Jul 25 14:04:48 EDT 2007

Just a note to clarify:

I don't agree with much of the USDA policy. I just thought that people
should know what the law actually says.

Attempts to change it are fine with me. Some of the techniques of
attempting to ignore it are fine with me too. The only people I have a
quarrel with (aside from the USDA, that is) are the ones who want to
say their stuff is "organic" when they haven't bothered to find out
what "organic" is, or when they want the name but don't want to
actually farm in that fashion. By this I mean, not only that they
haven't read the USDA's version, or that they're not going along with
something the USDA put in their law that is controversial among organic
growers; but that they haven't learned about the subject from elsewhere
in the organic community either; and/or are doing things that nobody
who does understand the subject would accept as "organic". I have run
into people who routinely use synthetic herbicides, but think they
should be allowed to call their produce organic because no spray has
been applied to the actual fruit. I have run into people who think that
"organic" means only that you don't use a sprayer. I could go on in
this line for some time. Any misconception you can think of in the
general public as to the meaning of the word, there is somebody out
there who also has that misconception, but wants to sell their produce
as "organic".

Sal is clearly not one of those people. I have a lot of sympathy with
his frustration. There are people who have heard me come out with a few
rants in this area myself.