[Market-farming] "organic": actual USDA regulations

Fellenz fellenz at fltg.net
Wed Jul 25 13:54:59 EDT 2007

I have to admit that I just don't get what the problem is with getting
certified.  I've been certified since 2005 and it isn't a painful
process.  The standard isn't perfect, but it does establish a floor and
it simplifies conversation with new customers,
"Are you organic?"
 > "Yes, I'm certified organic by NOFA-NY Certified Organic LLC"

Then , if the customer has more questions, I'm happy to answer them and
to explain what we do and why and how locally produced certified organic
is different than organic purchased at the grocery store or Walmart.

Before the standard, organic meant whatever the farmer wanted it to
mean.  Now there is a common definition.  It probably isn't the best
definition, but something designed by a committee never is.  Having a
definition makes it easier to have a conversation with a customer.  If a
grower wants to do more, to go "beyond organic", there is nothing in the
certification process which will prevent them from doing this.

The problem with many "organic" farmers who do not certify is that their
definition of organic may be substantially different than what most
would consider to be organic.  I used to sell at a farmers market with a
:"organic grower" who liked to use a little round-up around the barn and
to clean up problem areas.  Many other non certified "organic" growers
use rotenone and other substances which are proscribed by the
standard.   Or they may spread raw manure and take a crop off it in just
a few months.   If you asked them to describe their practices, they
would be happy to share, but what they do doesn't necessarily match with
what most would consider to be organic.

Andy
www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com