[Market-farming] Broccoli leaves -- new crop

Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm rootsfarm at marpin.dm
Mon Jul 23 09:35:53 EDT 2007

Thanks, Maury.  We've been considering high tunnel/hoophouse
investment.  As most everything has to be imported, prices are very high
and we would be buying at US $, but earning EC $ (1 US = 2.7 EC).  And
we would need to develop storage/source of water (which we have to do
anyway) as right now all we have is the rain.  No well digging on
island, even if our mountainside location had a vein to tap.  (Wish we
had dowsers on island!)

I can imagine having "permanent" structures that we could then change
cover from rain shield to shade cloth to bird net to nothing depending
on what was planted at the time.  Has anyone seen designs for such that
would make cover changing relatively easy on both people and the cover
material?

All best wishes,

Karen

Karen Sutherland