[Market-farming] lambs quarters

Home Grown Kansas! hgkansas at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 23 07:43:52 EDT 2007

Lambs quarters is also a problem in Kansas.   Hard to control after it rained steady for over a month.  It also attracts cucumber beetles.  Definitely a weed in Kansas.  Few would buy lambs quarters here - not a marketable item on the Prairie.

  Elzie
  Wichita, Kansas

Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers at hotmail.com> wrote:
      Hey, isn't this the sort of question that we're here for??    I have been using the information and recipes from a very good book ..."Gourmet Gardening" to help market lamb's quarters, purslane, burdock, mache  etc for years.  It was published by Rodale...who else?......orignally in 1978....ISBN 0-87857-349-6  edited by Anne Moyer Halpin.......may be out of print now, but worth looking for as it covers many weirdy crops that could be marketed.
  Control lamb's quarters by knocking it down before it goes to seed...early spring or new growth later in the season can be handled and sold like spinach.  It is quite nutritious...high in vitamin C which can be a good thing for citrus allergic customers.
  Shawnee, zone five sort of.....