[Market-farming] Broccoli leaves -- new crop

Karen Sutherland and Roots Farm rootsfarm at marpin.dm
Sun Jul 22 12:28:59 EDT 2007

The leaves are great steamed, cooked with rice, in soups, etc. but
also are good raw in salad.  I'd bet a wilted salad of the leaves
would be very nice, but haven't tried.  A Chinese restaurant here
buys them in quantity -- I 've been meaning to ask how they use them.

Broccoli is rare & expensive here.  We are able to sell our organic
heads for $8.50/lb (supermarket importing and selling at $12+/lb.)
Sounds like a lot, but so many broccoli plantings fail due to too
much rain when heads maturing.  At least now we can sell the leaves!

Best wishes,

Karen

Karen Sutherland and Roots Farm
Organic Produce