[Market-farming] Broccoli leaves -- new crop

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun Jul 22 12:23:18 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 09:06:33AM -0400, Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm wrote:
> As we clean our harvested broccoli heads and side shoots for market, we
> remove a lot of younger broccoli leaves.  This year we started selling
> them at $3 for a 12 oz bag.  Everyone who has tried them has come back

Intriguing!  Thanks for the idea!

What is done with them?  Steamed like cooked broccoli?  Raw as a salad
ingredient?  Both?  Other?

We have traditionally sold broccoli heads and shoots in 1lb bags for
$2.  Last year, I decided that that wasn't profitable and cut back to
8/10 lb in spite of perceived pressure from cheap grocery store
broccoli.  This year, I just quit picking it because it was very low
profit compared to other things I could put my labor in.  Due to
requests, I started picking it again and charging $3 per 8/10lb bag.
And, it has sold very well.  That seems profitable so I'm planning a
late summer - fall crop.  The cool wet summer here in central Texas
has kept broccoli going far later in the season than "normal".

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  48 days 11 hours 40 minutes