[Market-farming] bird netting & Hortonova

Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm rootsfarm at marpin.dm
Tue Jul 17 16:31:44 EDT 2007

Can anyone recommend a good source for bird netting?  I need no bigger
than 1/2-3/4" openings as we have some teeny bird pests and hopefully, a
net that is wider than 12-14' and long.  I've tried various plastic
nettings but they don't hold up under our sun, whereas an old nylon
fruit tree net that I used to cover plum and blueberries 10+ years in
Mass. is still going strong after 5+ years use in tropical conditions
(except for the places where I had to cut the net to free trapped (and
very hostile) boas).  I believe I had purchased that net from
Mellinger's which seems to be out of the INet business.  Without netting
here it is impossible to bring in a crop of most any fruit, including
tomatoes, peppers, papaya, oranges, etc.

I have used Hortonova here for trellising, but again it doesn't last
much more than a season, whereas the nylon trellis nettings just keep on
going and are strong enough to support massive bean vines, cukes,
tomatoes, etc.

Thanks and Best wishes to all,

Karen
--