[Market-farming] Crop support

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sat Jul 14 23:14:22 EDT 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Sharon and Steve wrote:

> By way of experimenting I planted Lincoln and Green Arrow peas each
> with a
> row on chicken wire beside a row with no support. And I am glad I did
> as if
> I did not have those on wire I would not have had many peas.The
> unsupported
> rows are rotten at ground level, due to trapped moisture, during this
> the
> driest year I have seen.
>
> Chicken wire being the price it is brings my question which is what
> are any
> of you using for crop support?

For dwarf and semi-dwarf varieties: medium-sized bamboo stakes about
20' to 25' apart, with several tiers of untreated twine strung along
them.

Taller pea varieties I expect need more support than that; but this is
relatively cheap and easy and sufficient for the shorter peas, which,
in my experience, do much better (and are much easier to pick)
trellised than not.