[Market-farming] Leafhoppers

Ken Bezilla kenbez at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 12 23:15:54 EDT 2007

More re: leafhoppers -- talking with Virginia extension agent Andy Hankins
last week, he hypothesized that maybe the dry spell earlier this spring had
something to do with their being a problem this year.  (From some of the
reading I've done, the reason for this being that wet conditions encourage
bacteria that infect the leafhoppers and keep their numbers down.)  He said
getting lacewings probably wouldn't help, since we already have enough
beneficial flowers around to support our own lacewing population.  He
recommended 3 possible sprays -- Safer Soap as an immediate slow-them-down
control, and then, more potently, neem and Beavaria Bassiana (bacterial).

(Thanks to Pam Dawling for supplementing up my memory on this!)

Ken Bezilla
Acorn
central VA