[Market-farming] Bug spray

Glen Eco Farm glenecofarm at planetcomm.net
Fri Jul 6 07:19:11 EDT 2007

There is a scented Geranium that is sometimes used as a potted house plant to repel mosquitoes inside the house.  The essential oil it releases is citronella if I am not mistaken.  In fact I think that citronella oil is available as a rub on or as an ingredient in candles.  Check out some catalogs that carry various herbal products.  My wife has steeped garlic in mineral oil or olive oil and kept it around the house for various purposes including using it as a bug repellant in the garden.  I have on several occasions rubbed it on my face, neck, and arms in order to (you guessed it) keep away bugs.  It works!  If you can handle smelling like a garlic head for a few hours you are in tall cotton.  I kind of like it!  It's a little like the pleasure of smelling your own farts.  It should also work to keep pesky people away.  I have even used garlic oil several times to relieve pain in chronically sore joints.

Marlin Burkholder