[Market-farming] Leafhoppers

Ken Bezilla kenbez at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 5 12:04:01 EDT 2007

Good news for our bean crops this year has been no sightings of Mexican bean
beetles.  Not sure why -- the parasitic wasps last year really kept down
their numbers?  Extensive cultivation where last year's crops were?  Dunno.
But glad they're not here!

Bad news is that we've got a new bug on the beans this year, looks to be
leafhoppers.  I'm reading up on organic controls... spraying doesn't sound
easy, since they hang out underneath the leaves (and the leaves are curling
up)... lacewings sound more attractive... anyone have experience with
organic controls for them?

Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community Farm
central Virginia