[Market-farming] Glen Eco

Glen Eco Farm glenecofarm at planetcomm.net
Wed Jul 4 23:33:23 EDT 2007

Hi Beth,

I really appreciate your interest in what is going on at our place.  About a
month ago I started writing another entry for my blog entitled "The Stuff
Dreams Are Made Of" where I was attempting to express my feelings as I face
the challenges of operating our farm while dealing with the aftermath of the
fire.  Sure to form I have been detained and the blog entry still needs some
editing and has not been posted yet.  Since you have expressed some interest
and there are others on the list who might want to know I will try to give a
brief summary here.

They got started rebuilding the house this week.  About 3/4 of the studded
walls are up and we hope to have it under roof by this time next week.  It
sure helps my mood to finally see some progress after the months of going to
the farm every day and looking at those bare basement walls and piles of
junk still lying around.

Much of the market garden is about a month behind schedule with many things
only recently planted or transplanted and just getting started but we are
picking ripe tomatoes.  I am buying more stuff than usual from a neighbor in
order to keep the CSA boxes full but I can live with that.  I spent much of
today chisel plowing and discing spent spring garden plots in preparation
for a big fall garden.  I am going to try to squeeze in a late sweet corn
patch and pray for late fall frosts.  I'm bound and determined to get a good
fall carrot patch seeded by mid July.  I have a good amount of cauliflower
(in four colors) going in the greenhouse and need to get the fall broccoli
and chinese cabbage started ASAP.  We are in need of some good rain.

For the second time since our disaster unspeakable tragedy has struck in our
community which makes our loss pale in comparison.  The first was the
shooting at VA Tech (my Alma Mater) which took 33 lives on April 16.  The
second struck several days ago to a Mennonite family in our local county
when a man and wife, their two oldest children and their hired man perished
from toxic fumes emanating from a manure pit near their barn.  I am closely
blood related to that family.  I plan to attend their funeral tomorrow and
wish I could do more to help, especially since that same Mennonite community
reached out to us so generously in response to our need.

Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley
Virginia

blog:  www.gleneco.blogspot.com