[Market-farming] raccoon strategies

Glen Eco Farm glenecofarm at planetcomm.net
Sun Jul 1 23:51:52 EDT 2007

This is interesting.  Recently, on two different ocassions, Marlin found a
headless chicken in a nestbox.  Our chicken house is on a wagon.  We stand
on the wagon hitch to lift the flap and reach into the nest box to gather
eggs.  In the one case he saw blood on the outside of the flap.  We have
been trying to figure out if a fox could/would climb up and reach in.  (We
know foxes are around and have eaten some chickens and a neighbor's duck
outside of the electra-net fence.)  Could an owl, hawk, or weasel lift a
plywood flap?
Christine Burkholder