[Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets

T A Patterson greengenes at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 09:30:32 EST 2007

Allan,
I don't know about any governor's son, but Bob Pierson was responsible for
the development of many Philadelphia farmers' markets.  He has a good
knowledge of both the lobbying strategy to establish a market in a community
and written standards for grower participation.  I haven't talked with Bob
in several years, but I know his latest hangout is an organization called
"Farm to City."
http://www.farmtocity.org/
215-733-9599

Two other organizations involved in Phila.-area farmers markets--
http://www.whitedogcafefoundation.org/fairfood.html
http://www.thefoodtrust.org/

Finally, you may have met Paul Hauser at PASA conferences.  Paul built the
West Chester growers' market, which is likely closest to the model you're
envisioning.  I can send you Paul's number is you need it.
/Ted