[Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Wed Jan 24 11:53:06 EST 2007

>What is the current market? I thought farmers markets were for growers. Can
>someone go to a distribution center and pick up commerical produce and
>resell it?  How is that all much different than a grovery store? I can see
>one person selling for a lot of little farms who might otherwise make $50,
>but it seems to me a farmers market should be for farmers.

You're right! (Man, I still never got any pisole!)

But this market has outright produce jobbers. Melons in May.

And the market master stands behind it: We need what people want here
all the time to get people in. We need melons here in May for the
people who need a melon. Maybe they'll buy some asparagus while they
are here."

The market is right in the middle of town and is always filled with
after-church shoppers (a Sunday market)

I'm looking for some grower-only program, guidelines, and whatno.
Something with a track record Something that shows that "Allan
Balliett, the local grower" isn't just making up the idea of a
'grower only' market.