[Market-farming] Farmer's Market Pre-orders

Elaine Granata elainegranata at peoplepc.com
Mon Jan 22 11:30:06 EST 2007

Simon:  Joyce speaks my mind.

Elaine
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joyce Paski" <elderberrywine4u at yahoo.com>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2007 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Pre-orders

> Simon Huntley <simon.huntley at gmail.com> wrote:    I'm currently gathering
some requirements for a 'store' system to be added to a small-farm web
development software system, and I was wondering if the group had any ideas
on something I've been tossing around in my head for a few days.

> I'll be glad to get your input.
> --
> Simon Huntley
> http://www.smallfarmcentral.com
>

> Yes, Simon, I believe I would lose connection with customers.  The whole
point of direct marketing for me is to lose that middle man aspect which is
what I get from your idea.  I want to get to know my customers which I think
your idea takes away from.  I like people.  I like to chit-chat around my
market stand and talk about food.  I care about my customers -- whose son
has gone to Iraq, so-and-so is sick, somebody's child is doing well in
college, etc.  The feeling I get from your idea is
"customer-with-no-time-needs-quick-gratification". I think direct marketing
is an old fashioned concept that encourages people to slow down and enjoy
life for a change.  I accept cash, check or WIC/FMNP coupons only because I
don't encourage credit card slavery.  I prefer being small and would rather
sell small quantities of produce to a wide number of people than sell most
of what I have to only a few buyers.  My current goals are simple -- to make
enough money to pay the real estate
>  taxes and cover costs of operation.  Everything else is soul enriching
and pure "cream gravy and biscuits".  Your idea may appeal to larger
operations, but not to me.