[Market-farming] limitations of AC coolers

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Wed Jan 17 17:55:39 EST 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:15:05AM -0800, Ernest Kuntze wrote:
> I use crushed ice i have a ice machine i do a market saterday and
> pick friday put in a camping type cooler covered with ice
> blackberries i pick friday late in afternoon and do not cool.
> coolers are gotten at goodwill or garage selles for about $5 each

For delivering limited amounts of stuff to grocery stores and taking to
farmers markets, I have two insulated boxes that sit in trucks.  One
holds about 6 banana boxes and the other 8.  One banana box holds three
dozen 1 pint clamshells.  The boxes have 2" walls made of 4 layers of
1/2" foam sheathing.  Structure is 1" square steel tubing.  Walls are
FRP, masonite, and plywood.  They work well since we start with cold
product; we generally put two or three 1 quart ice jugs in with the
produce.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  305 days 41 min minutes