[Market-farming] limitations of AC coolers

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Wed Jan 17 09:48:00 EST 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 08:25:17AM -0600, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> John, Good Answer, Good Answer, we also use coolers to keep our produce as
> fresh as possible. Even if just over night. TexasBill
>
> >I think coolers are a must for most fresh market produce farms...more
> >important ultimately than any other piece of equipment on the farm.  I've

I agree that walkins are the best solution; I have two.  However, an
ACed room is better than nothing.  Before I got my first walkin, I used
an AC to (slightly) prolong the life of peaches.  I have seen, from
customers, resistance to cooling.  I don't agree or understand; cooling
allows the grower to sell higher quality product than is possible
without cooling.

On quick cooling, I have tried the following on blackberries and
shelled peas:  keeping a 55 gallon drum of water in the walkin and
plunging warm product for quick cooling.  With both blackberries and
peas (southern), the plunging caused quality problems.  It might be
worth a try on greens and other products.  I put warm washed wet
spinach in plastic bags in the walkin to cool and have good results.

I have found that a thick layer, a tub 12' deep for instance, of
shelled peas will warm in the walkin rather than cool.  When possible,
I place un-shelled peas in the walkin prior to shelling.  Then, I
re-cool the shelled peas in layers only a couple of inches deep.

Originally I believe TxBeeFarmer asked about prolonging fruit and
vegetable shelf life.  It seems he was hoping for too much.  The life
of cool blackberries is only about a week; I don't keep them longer than
three days, and I prefer to sell them cool the day after picking.  Most
other products, I am willing to keep a few days in the walkin, but not a
week.  Excepting root crops.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  304 days 16 hours 17 minutes