[Market-farming] limitations of AC coolers

Robert Schuler sunnfarm at verizon.net
Tue Jan 16 20:07:50 EST 2007

Paul, you are right, ac cannot remove field heat and true agricultural grade cooling requires removing field heat right into the core of the produce not just the surface. If you put a melon with a core temp of 70 degrees in a ac cool room the surface will feel cold but the the inside of the melon will still be 70 degrees for days after. At my Coop will use vacuum cooling that sucks the field heat out of the produce right to the core then the produce can be held in a cool room. Unfortunately vacuum coolers are a bit costly for a small farm.
On my farm I do not use any cooling. I tell customers that coolers are just an excuse to sell old produce. If you want old cooled produce you can go to the supermarket. People who buy off the farm expect produce to be fresh picked not days old... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.