[Market-farming] Cooling and storing produce

Home Grown Kansas! hgkansas at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 15 18:43:50 EST 2007

Tom--The plans we used at located in the document at this web address - http://www.ams.usda.gov/tmd/MSB/PDFpublist/portacooler.pdf
  We used the plans for a cooling shed and not a portacooler.

  This web address is the 1 hour timer that is used.
  http://electricsupplieson-line.stores.yahoo.net/inc83.html

  Our cold shed is 8' x 10'.  We purchased a 1 ton (or slightly larger) window AC from a Pawn Shop to do the cooling.  The plans call for a heat tape to be placed across the coils - but, we found we liked it better without.  On really humid mornings - we have to take time to clean the ice off the coils, but as a general rule - it works great.  We hold peaches for 7-10 days.

  Email if you have questions.

  Elzie Randleas
  Home Grown Kansas! llc
  Wichita, KS

Tom at Limerock <limerock at thirdplanet.net> wrote:
  Pat -- How did you 'rewire' your AC unit to be a cooler unit?

Thanks

Tom
Limerock Orchards