[Market-farming] Vegetable Weevils and Slugs

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Sun Jan 7 11:23:02 EST 2007

Thanks for all the help with the Spinosad sources, for the vegetable weevil
larva. Allan - no, I'm not claiming the larvae reproduce, but the adult
weevil/beetle does reproduce without males. Google "Vegetable Weevil
Larvae" - there's a good webpage from Chatham County Extension, NC,
called "The Bok Choi Problem". Sorry I haven't got the link handy.
	Slugs. Mmmm. We had a plague of slugs the first winter we got our
hoophouse. The beer traps worked (diluted beer or even sugary water once
it starts fermenting will work). Mainly we used scissors. Yes. When
harvesting using the lovely Chinese scissors from Lee Valley, we snipped
the slugs in half as we saw them. It was very successful, and cheap, and
organic. Not fun, but then life is full of trade-offs.....
	Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, central Virginia