[Market-farming] Vegetable Weevil Larvae

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Wed Jan 3 19:28:01 EST 2007

We've got an infestation of what I think are vegetable weevil larvae in our
hoophouse, eating ragged holes in leaves of Hakurei turnips, tatsoi, pak
choy, chinese cabbage, and, I fear, the spinach too. Anyone have
experience of these beasties, and how to get rid of them organically?
Apparently they come out at night, reproduce parthenogenetically, are not
affected by BT, go dormant in the summer, and eat a range of leaves and
roots, preferring the new leaves in the crown of the plant. Argh! We had
some last year on the turnips, and pulled them all early, hoping to get rid of
the problem. On the plus side, these pests don't fly and have only one
generation each year. I've heard that Spinosad/Entrust will kill them, but
that's only available in $150 batches, and I'm hoping for something cheaper.
Any ideas out there?
	Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Virginia. Zone 7.