[Market-farming] Local Food fact Sheets

STEVE GILMAN stevegilman at verizon.net
Fri Feb 16 12:51:16 EST 2007

Actually, the local food concepts presented at:
>> www.environmentalcommons.org/

have to do with the overall idea of Food Democracy, which is also
presented at their website.

	While I've seen an enhanced local business support consciousness in
your nearby Austin, including the "Keep Austin Weird -- Support Local
Businesses" campaign, many local economies and the growers that serve
them remain in the dark how the oligopolistic players in the big food
and every other major industry have colonized our localities  to
extract consumer dollars, taxes and resources (with the help of their
special interest political powers.) Their size and economic clout
enable them to buy low (the farmers' share of market basket sales is
around 5%) and sell high (consumers are actually paying much more
than the touted 12% of their "disposable income" on food), with the
result that many local economies are on the ropes and farmers are
down to less than 1% of the population.

	To the contrary, local food producers have one of the highest
multiplier effects in the economy, helping to raise all (local) boats
and increase local food security and independence.

	As citizens and farmers we all have many good reasons to promote
local food production. Whether the Food Democracy viewpoint is
objectionable is up to you, but I don't think its reality can be
denied...

best,

Steve Gilman
Ruckytucks Farm