[Market-farming] Local Food Fact Sheets

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Thu Feb 15 12:58:22 EST 2007

This was on another list.  The fact sheets may be of use to some list
members here.  You can send for (free) paper copies (with color) if you
want to.

Pat

From: Brock Dolman <brock at oaec.org>
Date: February 9, 2007 9:17:49 PM EST
Subject: [Permaculture International] Local Food Fact Sheets

Greetings colleagues,

I’m writing to let you know about a new educational resource recently
released by Environmental Commons – a series of fact sheets on the
importance of local control in supporting healthy regional food
systems. http://www.environmentalcommons.org/LocalFood/

Local food is quickly gaining recognition as a key to sustainability,
strong economies and community health. However, the structures that
either support or discourage local food systems receive much less
attention. Local food systems simply won’t be viable unless
communities have a greater ability to influence food-related policies
that relate to local health, safety and the environment. In light of
recent attempts to preempt local GMO bans, federal subsidies that
support agribusiness over farmer wellbeing and local food access, and
trade agreements that threaten to take away countries’ ability to
protect its citizens, resources like these fact sheets are more
important than ever.

The fact sheets are a clear and concise educational tool to raise
awareness and inspire action for strong local food systems. The fact
sheet Shaping our Local Food Systems outlines the importance of local
jurisdiction over many aspects of food and agriculture and
illustrates why food should be controlled locally. Local Food
Systems: Challenges and Threats describes the forces that shape food
systems in the interests of a few large corporations at the expense
of the public interest, and Local Food Systems: Getting Involved
charts the course for building food systems that truly support local
communities. Finally, The Place of Food in Our Lives reflects on the
consequences of understanding our food primarily as a commodity
versus as an integral part of family and community life.

The fact sheets are now available nationally through Environmental
Commons. They can be downloaded from http://
www.environmentalcommons.org/LocalFood/ and are available free of
charge, by order, in full-color hard copy as well. Please help
distribute these far and wide!

Blog:  http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

'Every one of us can do something to protect and
care for our planet. We should live in such a way
that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh