[Market-farming] Colorado potato & flea beetles

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Wed Feb 14 16:40:58 EST 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 2:39 PM, John Drury wrote:

> I just received my Peaceful Valley catalogue and was searching through
> their chart which shows how to control insects, hoping there was a new
> miracle tonic that can control Colorado potato beetles and flea
> beetles using OMRI approved materials. I was wondering if anyone had
> had success with Pyganic or Agroneem.

I've had some success with spinosad for flea beetles. I had to apply it
three times, the first two five days apart. This is certainly not a
miracle tonic, it's not great for your beneficials either (I was
careful to get it only on the eggplant affected, not on peppers etc.
growing in the same field.) (Spinosad is Entrust in large quantities
and Monterey Garden Spray in small quantities.)

Rotenone used to work, but that's not allowed any longer . . . and it
did have some of the same problems, though my impression is that the
Spinosad is actually more toxic.

Spunbonded row covers (Reemay, Agribon, etc.) also sometimes work; but
you need to get them on before the flea beetles find the plants. If the
beetles are already there, covers won't help a bit.