[Market-farming] winter weather

Marcy mlynn at pcisys.net
Tue Feb 13 00:15:26 EST 2007

Sue, It's funny how the headlines change and we don't always see the end of
the story. I'm on the edge of the worst of the snow in CO - about 20 miles
east of us and on further is where they got hammered. As Elaine mentioned,
we're used to having it melt off in a couple days with so much sunshine
here. Most of the ranchers plan on grazing all winter with minimal
supplemental feed. They're just beginning to see the effects of the storm.
Initially the cows were lost. Now we still have snowpack on the ground and
even if they got feed to them in time they may lose up to half their calves
this spring. And the cows that survive don't have the body reserves they
need. It's a tough road and I'm guessing we'll see a lot of places going
under. Hay is in short supply and more expensive than usual.

I've been pulling feed to the chickens on my sled for close to two months
now instead of the typical 4 days a winter that I can't pull my wagon. Not
sure how it will be for the ranchers, but for our poor milk cow I don't know
if the snow was worse or now that some of it is melting in the corral the
sopping wet mud.
There were lots of buildings damaged. Our 4-H exhibit hall is ruined.
We just about lost our greenhouse, but spent 3 days digging snow off the
sides that don't slope enough and managed to save it.
Anyone from the Buffalo area?
Marcy
SE Colo