[Market-farming] Charcoal in soil

Pat Rupiper arupiper at bright.net
Fri Feb 9 05:30:12 EST 2007

Allan,
I realize it might not be exactly what you mean, but as a kid we burned off our garden beds. Did this put some usable charcoal into the beds? I still do this with my tomato bed. I have straw & newspaper under and between the rows. Come fall, I drop the fencing and burn the whole area. Then apply the aged manure and compost for the next years growth and get it ready for spring. Please could you share a little more about it?
So much nicer than till vs. shoot down.
Thanks, Pat Ohio Now recognized as zone 6.