[Market-farming] greenhouse heat/root zone mats

Leigh Hauter bullrunfarm at hughes.net
Fri Feb 9 02:07:11 EST 2007

Now that I've just about finished rebuilding my greenhouse  (30kX96)
it's time to be seriously thinking about heat.

Since the fire I've had my 140,000 btu wood boiler rehabed so I'll
have plenty of hot water.  Before I had the greenhouse layed out with
five long tables with each table having four runs of pex and each run
was attached to a different circuit on a manifold.  Not the most
elegant or comfortable layout but it let me jam the largest number of
flats in the smallest space.

However, I've been looking at different products out there and I was looking at
http://www.radiantroots.com/  and his mats.  Has anyone used these?
or another commercial hot water  root mat?  This one doesn't look all
that more expensive than buying pex and rolling it out on the tables.

Also, any good cheap, efficient ideas on tables besides those pieces
of trellis available at home despot  put up on cinderblocks  (or in
my case old bee boxes).  Actually I was using heavy metal (I'd bought
from a local greenhouse supply company) for the table tops put on
cinderblocks  (and beeboxes).

so my concerns are tables

and

heating,  particularly root heating systems.

and

a nice plan for laying out tables

Thanks.
--