[Market-farming] the future of small farms

STEVE GILMAN stevegilman at verizon.net
Thu Feb 8 17:01:40 EST 2007

	Most likely the European model is just as non-sustainable as the
U.S. one when it comes to agriculture. You can see where they're
coming from, however -- there's nothing like experiencing repeated
ravages of war and starvation on your own soil. The U.S. has never
come close, but the European memory runs deep. A main response has
been to do what it takes to support local and regional agriculture
for the sake of the security of maintaining a national food supply.
In many areas the farmers live in town because it would be foolhardy
indeed to put houses on farmland and there are appropriate
prohibitions. Of course we do that all the time here and the latest
USDA stats show yet another decrease in land under cultivation.

	 Also, the U.S. has some of the largest subsidies in the world --
averaging some $20 BILLION a year for the past 5 year Farm Bill. Over
80% goes to big commodity crop farms -- corn, soy, cotton, wheat and
rice. According to an incredible series in the Washington Post last
fall, this dumps cheap food priced below the cost of production on
economies here and around the world, putting smaller farmers out of
business. Another article focused on a Houston surgeon who put a
mansion on former hunk of rice land. He receives sizable annual
subsidies because the subsidy runs with the land...

	In this country, farm programs were initially a response to ravages
on our  own soil -- the Dust Bowl days and Great Depression. A
primary response to the soil squandering practices of extreme over
tillage combined with chemical fertilizers was outlined in the 1936
Yearbook of Agriculture, authored by some of the preeminent soil
scientists of the day. It reads like an organic manual, recommending
soil organic matter building techniques, cover cropping, minimized
tillage, etc. Since then, the farm programs have been captured by the
industrial-scale agribusinesses that got big as the smaller farms got
forced out. This year's farm bill negotiations may finally produce
some beneficial changes in what eaters are willing to support, however.

Steve

On Feb 8, 2007, at 3:07 PM, market-farming-request at lists.ibiblio.org