[Market-farming] walk in cooler

Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm rootsfarm at marpin.dm
Tue Feb 6 14:05:30 EST 2007

Has anyone any experience with/knowledge about converting/using an
insulated 20' shipping container as a produce cooler?  I need to ship a
number of large items from U.S. to Dominica and am wondering if it makes
sense to purchase a used insulated container to ship in, then convert it
here to propane (or solar???), sectioned into several different spaces
that could be kept at different temperatures.

We are in the midst of our busiest season here.  Dry season to follow,
then too wet, so despite year round work, annual farm income must
largely be gained from about 4-5 months production.  At least that's
what past weather experience has shown.  The changing weather pattern
makes projections so much iffier than usual.

Thanks so much to all of you for all the wisdom and experience and even
conjecture shared on the list.

All best wishes,

Karen

*Karen Sutherland **
**Roots Farm**
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs*
Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm at marpin.dm <mailto:rootsfarm at marpin.dm>