[Market-farming] spaders and soil oxidation

Goodwill at Homefields Farm sbreneman at yourgoodwill.org
Tue Feb 6 13:02:43 EST 2007

we have been relying on a Celli spader for all tillage for 5 acres of
veg. I'd be interested in other's observations on their long term
effects on the soil.  My current thinking is that spaders are superior
to rototillers as far as the soil crumb structure goes, but probably
oxidize the organic matter just about the same?  (spaders really fluff
up the soil)

Seems like a chisel plow and shallow rototilling for seed bed prep might
be no worse than a spader.  Thoughts?

Scott