[Market-farming] Tillage is tillage

Robert Schuler sunnfarm at verizon.net
Mon Feb 5 10:33:19 EST 2007

I fall plow all my early sweet corn ground, its the only way to create conditions where the soil can warm up enough by late March to seed corn. Tillage dries out the ground so we can plant earlier.

In south Jersey most of my 500+ vegetable farm neighbors practice some form of intensive vegetable production. Like double and triple cropping, and almost everything on raised beds. This all takes a lot of tillage also most small seeded vegetables like carrots and parsley need a fine well tilled seed bed just to germinate.

Tillage is a cheap form of pest control. cutworms, corn borers, flea beetles, cucumber beetles, thrips, spider mites, and aphids and diseases like sclerotina and rhizoctonia just love to over winter in a nice warm mulch... Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.