[Market-farming] Coleman: "We no longer dig the garden."

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Sun Feb 4 22:20:27 EST 2007

>At least it is now clear that what you keep defining as
>no-till is really reduced tillage, which is a form of tillage
>no matter which way you slice it.
>
>It sure would help if you used common terms and
>vocabulary in the tillage to no-tillage spectrum of
>agricultural practices so readers understand what
>you're talking about.

Paul - While you're trying to find that
spectrumatic lexicon of tillage vocabulary, you
may also enjoy looking at Barry Lopez' new book
"Home Ground: Language for an American Landscape"
It's got more words to convey and impress with:

From Amazon and  Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. How to define an arroyo,
badlands, eddy, a muskeg? What is a desire path,
a kiss tank, a nubble? These words, many
forgotten today, refer to various aspects of a
landscape to which many of us have lost our
connection. Drawing on the polyglot richness of
American English, National Book Award-winning
author Lopez (Arctic Dreams) assembles 45
writers, known for their intimate connection to
particular places, to collectively create a
unique American dictionary. Barbara Kingsolver,
William Kittredge, Arturo Longoria, Jon Krakauer,
Bill McKibben, Antonya Nelson, Luis Alberto Urrea
and Joy Williams, among others, vividly describe
land and water forms. What is a cofferdam?
"Imagine a decorative wishing well, then imagine
that well writ large," notes Antonya Nelson. And
Patricia Hampl tells us that the Dutch word vly
(marshy headwaters of a stream) "may have
occasioned the name of New York's rowdy Fly
Market" in the 18th and early 19th centuries.
Many entries quote American explorers and writers
such as Herman Melville, Willa Cather, Mark
Twain, John Steinbeck and Cormac McCarthy, as
they uncover layers of etymology and American
regional difference. Line drawings enhance
geographic understanding; marginal quotations
further evoke period and place. This marvelous
book enlivens readers to the rich diversity of
Americans' complex relationship to the land.
(Oct. 4)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division
of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Book Description
Barry Lopez asked 45 poets and writers to define
terms that describe America's land and water
forms - phrases like flatiron, bayou, monadnock,
kiss tank, meander bar, and everglade. The result
is a major enterprise comprising over 850
descriptions, 100 line drawings, and 70
quotations from works by Willa Cather, Truman
Capote, John Updike, Cormac McCarthy, and others.
Carefully researched and exquisitely written by
talents such as Barbara Kingsolver, Lan Samantha
Chang, Robert Hass, Terry Tempest Williams, Jon
Krakauer, Gretel Ehrlich, Luis Alberto Urrea,
Antonya Nelson, Charles Frazier, Linda Hogan, and
Bill McKibben, Home Ground is a striking
composite portrait of the landscape. At the heart
of this expansive work is a community of writers
in service to their country, emphasizing a
language that suggests the vastness and mystery
that lie beyond our everyday words.

Good stuff. Getting a couple of books like this
under your belt might keep browbeating bullies
from doing the semantical equivalent to kicking
sand in your face in public places.

-Allan