[Market-farming] Tax Time

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Sun Feb 4 19:54:48 EST 2007

I have used TurboTax for years. The basic edition ($19) comes with all the
federal forms you need. Don't need home & business to get Schedule F, etc.

I enter my data manually, rather than import from Quicken, because I find
things are not all correctly categorized in Quicken, or I can legitimately
move things among categories/Sch. A or std deduction, etc, or decide whether
to take a full depreciation or not. I print out my return and mail it in. I
carefully get it mailed by the March deadline for farmers so I don't pay
estimated taxes during the year, so wouldn't get a faster refund by filing
electronically.

I just do the state by hand rather than getting TurboTax state.

A really nice thing about tax software is that you can start entering data,
and if you find an error, it is so simple to fix it. Don't have to redo all
your computations - it does it for you.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY