[Market-farming] CSA Share Structure

Fellenz fellenz at fltg.net
Tue Dec 25 11:10:27 EST 2007

What I do is to have a choice table.  The choice table is set up like a
market table with more of what is already in the shares plus lots of
different fruits and vegetables.  Each week my members pick up their
pre-packed basic share and go to the share table to pick up items to
supplement the base share.  As an example if small shares are getting 8
things one week, they may have five items in their basic share and the
opportunity to choose three additional items off of the choice table.
The choice table seems to work fairly well both as a way for members to
get more of a particular item or to choose something unique.  It also
works well for me for items which produce over a fairly long season,
like eggplant, which people would not want to see in their shares every
week.

Watching how people approach the choice table can be fun also.  Some
people have a real dollars and cents mindset and consistently choose
items which cost the most in the store, like raspberries, while others
go for size - choosing a watermelon rather than something smaller, while
others, especially people who have been members for a few years seem to
just look and choose based on what looks good to them for that week.
Having a choice table also prompts conversation as people look at what
is available and, especially for the unfamiliar items, discuss how to
prepare them and what they taste like.

In stocking the choice table, my goal is to bring home at least one of
everything on the table because then I will know that everyone got their
first choices.  Practically speaking, I stock the table with 10-20% more
than people will take with them.  I have also learned that the fruit
will go first, followed quickly by potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, beans,
peas and the other US standards.  My members like the idea of having
access to many different vegetables, but when offered a choice usually
default to the tried and true.

I also have a herb table with fresh cut herbs.  My members can take what
they want from the herb table each week as a bonus to their shares.

Andy
www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com