[Market-farming] Harvesting equipment

Susan Houghton susangivingtree at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 17 13:38:21 EST 2007

I have sold most of my sweet corn into the wholesale market for 35 years and found it to be a dead end. I never had a problem hand picking my way through 20 acres by myself. I always thought a one row picker would be helpful but looking back in hindsight I'm glad I did not buy one.
 With a picker you still have the labor of hand sorting and packing and pulling the machine through sometimes muddy im passable fields after a storm and the messy job of harvesting from blown down stalks.
 I think a string bean picker would be a good investment. Beans always bring a good price and work well in crop rotations and double cropping... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

We have been a smallmarket "garden", with 21 acres of ground, 7 of it in a variety of veggies, and 8 high tunnels.  We have lots of growing experience, and lots of marketing experience.    Now we would like to do some larger quantities of some veggies and sell them to a wholesaler, this is a huge leap for us.   The obvious (to me) first problem is how to harvest a quantity of anything.  Is there a place to find harvesting equipment for a small farm?  We are interested in a two row green bean harvester....and maybe a two row corn harvester.    Susan HoughtonLansing MI