[Market-farming] Wala Wala Bulbing Early

Marty Kraft martyk at allspecies.org
Mon Dec 17 12:58:26 EST 2007

I planted some wala wala onions in flats in October and left them
under constant light. A couple of weeks ago when they started to bulb
I realized my error and put a timer on the lights and gave them 8-10
hours of light per day.

Has anyone had experience reducing the photoperiod after the onions
have started to bulb and still had them produce good size onions at
the proper time? I have been advised that I have triggered the
reproductive process and the onions will proceed to maturity early
even though they are very tiny now.

Thanks

Marty Kraft
Kansas City