[Market-farming] Harlequins and trap crops

Harriet Allen hattie_allen at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 13:27:59 EST 2007

Allan,
  Thanks for your response re Harlequin bugs.  I think a trap crop is a very good solution for me.  Then a bit of neem oil on the good stuff will really discourage them as well.  I will check my water PH.  It is well water and likely somewhat hard.

  When you have a trap crop full of your target pest, what do you do?  Do you leave it alone or do you kill the pest in its large numbers on the trap crop?

  I had wondered whether my neighbors collard greens contributed to the massive numbers of harlequin bugs. Their garden is probably less than 100 yards from mine. They just like growing greens I guess and left them all in the garden to flower last winter without harvesting them.  Probably an area 30 X 100 feet of collards.

  I have heard from a farm helper for Provident Organic (on the other side of the peninsula from me) that Jay Martin had the same problem as I did with the bugs.  He was wondering about it too I think and trying to figure out why he had so many.

  Thanks,
  Hattie Allen
  Hattie's Garden

Hattie's Garden