[Market-farming] High value crops.

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sat Dec 8 12:09:48 EST 2007

On Dec 8, 2007, at 9:52 AM, TxBeeFarmer wrote:

> My experience at the market says TOMATOES.  I don't think you can grow
> enough to satisfy the customers.  Just be sure they are an
> indeterminate
> variety and not those cardboard tasting things sold in the stores.
> Celebrity
> is probably a good one.
>
> TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
> West Texas Zone 7b

Make sure this is true in your area first. Around here, it's easy to
sell tomatoes if you have them earlier than most others do (although
this target is moving earlier every year, as a lot of people here now
grow them in greenhouses); but, in main tomato season, not only does
every fresh market farmer have them, but so does everybody who has a
garden; and anyone who knows somebody with a garden is likely to be
given tomatoes for free. This doesn't mean you can't sell them at all;
but it does make it harder.