[Market-farming] was high value crops/now pricing.

MRSHLR at aol.com MRSHLR at aol.com
Sat Dec 8 10:04:14 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/8/2007 9:43:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
organic101 at linkny.com writes:

My
recommendation is to *not* try to engage in a price war and try to
match the cheapest prices you find, or to undersell everybody.

Hello,

I've been lurking on the list for a while, but I just had to chirp in and
agree with that statement. Here is an experience I had his past summer at our
local farmers market with pricing, which is about 1/4 mile from a Super
Wal-mart. All my produce is grown organically, but I'm not certified, yet. So, I  go
around to local grocery stores and markets to get an idea what organic and
non-organic is selling for, and then find a happy median for my pricing.  Well,
this lady came to the farmers market and wanted to talk me down on the  price
of my tomatoes. I wouldn't do it. She argued with me for a good 10 minutes
and I explained to her where my farm was and how the tomatoes were grown,  etc.
She said would just go to Wal-mart and get them cheaper. She  left, got to
the end of the street, turned around an came back to buy my  tomatoes. I don't
know what changed her mind, but she must have thought mine  tomatoes were
better, even if they weren't cheaper.

Melissa