[Market-farming] High value crops.

Sharon and Steve shopkins at tdstelme.net
Sat Dec 8 08:37:33 EST 2007

Hi Folks...am retired and garden on a home scale level. Would like to expand
in a small way to try
  and make a few dollars to help out my retirement funds. What high value
crop(s) would anyone care to comment on that I could raise to accomplish
that goal. Franklin

What you grow is not nearly as important as your facility and talent for
marketing, and once you capture that idea a non-perishable product is much
easier to deal with than something that has an 8 hour window of freshness.

HSLT I get the feeling that you are like a lot of us "frustrated farmers"
who will till up more ground and have a self service sales stand at the end
of the driveway. In doing that I tend to stay close to the supermarket
prices as it is about what most customers would expect to pay and you dont
piss of the other growers by cutting prices. The only absolute to that deal
is to offer fresh, good looking, stuff, (what you like, others will like,
and try to be first or at least early) and anythng else out of sight, folks
will not stop a second time if they see junk.

Good luck and good growing!

MAsteveINE