[Market-farming] Mulch

tonitime at juno.com tonitime at juno.com
Thu Dec 6 13:35:03 EST 2007

I use alot of spoiled hay mulch, straw being too expensive, but do have
mowable pathways in clover and weeds, with clover taking over slowly in
between.  Applying the mulch from the hay rolls is alot of work for even
the 1 acre i have the soil built up so well in.  I rotate crops and also
rotate using black plastic on appropriate plantings - toward  the health
of the soil. A thing that really helps is to use a paper base for the
hay.  This prevents alot of germination of weed or grasses.
But - i know nothing of machine application, with so little area in use.
The soil where i have heavily mulched the last 6 years is the best.
Toni